Dr Kate Smith
Kate has experienced her own personal battle with chronic pain and illness. Not only has she managed to resolve all of these problems through a functional medicine approach, but she has been able to turn her mess into a message.
Her unique experience has allowed her to teach others how to find their way through a list of symptoms to recover their own health.
Kate is a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner and Doctor of Chiropractic.
Here’s some things you might not know about me:
- Most people don’t know that I’ve been really sick. I had unexplained fevers (40°C/104°F) every 3 weeks and a very weak immune system. I would catch every bug going around. I’ve experienced allergies, skin conditions (eczema, perioral dermatitis and post-pill acne) along with chronic low back pain and nerve pain.
- On paper I have 3 degrees. I became a chiropractor by the age of 23.
- I worked in private practice in Sydney for over a decade before deciding to focus purely on my Functional Medicine clients and online business in 2020.
- I’ve always been fascinated by science and the human body. I taught anatomy on dead bodies at Macquarie University’s hospital since 2010, and it 100% made me a better practitioner for it.
“I’ve personally experienced chronic pain and chronic illness. I know what it’s like to be dismissed by the doctors, and what it feels like to hit rock bottom. Now that I’m on the other side, I truly believe I was assigned this mountain to show other people it can be moved.
If I was a health professional that felt lost in the medical system, what hope do other people have for getting better?
I’ve spent over 10 years working as a chiropractor, but I always felt something was missing. There was a small percentage of patients who would not respond to conventional treatment. They should have been getting better, but they weren’t. This is where I found functional medicine. It’s the deepest level of healing I know.”
- Kate has been trained through Functional Medicine University and has been credited for her academic achievements in differential diagnosis and clinical practice by the Chiropractic and Osteopathic College of Australasia (COCA).
- Kate is extremely well-versed in Functional Movement training. She has certifications with the Institute of Motion, SFMA, John Rusin’s Pain Free Performance Specialist Certification, and DNS: Exercise & Gym.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Chiropractic Science – Macquarie University, Australia (March 2005 – March 2007)
- Master of Chiropractic – Macquarie University, Australia (March 2007-2009)
- Histology and Anatomy Teacher – Macquarie University, Australia (March 2010 – March 2019)
- Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner – Functional Medicine University